Going off to college can be an exciting (and nervous!) adventure for both parents and their children. For better or worse, their dorm or apartment will be your college student’s new home away from home.
Make sure you, as a parent (or grandparent!), prepare them for college life with these must-have Catholic essentials that will help them to continue to practice and grow in their faith while on campus:
OUR CATHOLIC COLLEGE GIFT CHECKLIST
- A Catholic Bible to guide them into discerning God’s will for their life:
A student or study bible is a great choice. Check out the popular new Didache Bible which is matched up with corresponding passages in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
- A rosary to offer spiritual protection daily:
Consider a durable rosary that can handle a beating, and even a few accidental rounds through the washing machine, such as a Knotted Cord Rosary.
- A crucifix as a reminder that Jesus’ love for them is their refuge and strength:
A small standing crucifix for a shelf or desk is a great choice for a dorm room or rented apartment.
- Small saint statues or religious art to remind them of their faith:
Make sure they have an image of the Blessed Mother in their room! A glace at Our Lady from time to time will remind them to pray and ask for her intercession.
- Prayer and reflection books to encourage them to talk to God daily:
A book of daily meditations are an easy and practical way to manage spiritual nourishment with a busy class and work schedule.
- Add a few extra inspirational items to round out their dorm room and express their Catholic faith:
Check out these fun and unique mugs, t-shirts, pillowcases, blankets, and framed art.
What would you add to this list?