Pope Benedict XVI announced today that Pope John Paul II will be beatified on May 1st. In honor of this occasion, we’d like to share some of our favorite quotes that we feel reflect the heart of Pope John Paul II. Be sure to share thoughts and your favorite Pope John Paul II quotes in the comments below!
- I hope to have communion with the people, that is the most important thing.
- To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children. Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others.
- Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
- Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
- True holiness does not mean a flight from the world; rather, it lies in the effort to incarnate the Gospel in everyday life, in the family, at school and at work, and in social and political involvement.
- The worst prison would be a closed heart.
- Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.