THIS IS A SOFT COVER/PAPERBACK BOOK. NOT A DVD.
For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada
The Cristero War and Mexico’s Struggle for Religious Freedom
Foreword by Archbishop Jose Gomez
Introduction by Eduardo Verastegui
Many people of faith today are asking, “What is the price of religious liberty?” In the 1920’s many Catholics in Mexico answered this crucial question at the cost of their very lives. The new major motion picture, For Greater Glory: The True Story of Cristiada tells the epic tale of Mexico’s heroic struggle for religious freedom in a little-known conflict called the Cristero War – but many questions still remain. Now you’ll go much deeper into the exciting history behind the movie with this fact-filled companion book – and gain important insight into the ongoing fight for religious freedom today.
As you read you’ll discover:
• Who were the Cristeros?
• What drove the Mexican government to ruthlessly persecute Catholics?
• Can a priest “wage war”?
• What role did groups like the Knights of Columbus play in this armed resistance?
• Why did thousands of Catholics - priests, religious, lay- willingly give their lives in the Cristiada?
• What did the Pope do to support the Church in Mexico?
• Which characters in the movie went on to become Catholic saints and blesseds in real life?
• Why is this dramatic episode of history so little known today?
• What is the lesson of the Cristiada for those struggling for religious freedom today?
“For Greater Glory is a top-flight production whose message of the importance of religious freedom has particular resonance for us today.”
— Most Reverend Jose Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles
“For Greater Glory is ‘must-see’ viewing for all those who care about faith and liberty today.”
— Carl Anderson, Supreme Knight, Knights of Columbus
Points of Interest:
• The official companion book to the acclaimed major motion picture, For Greater Glory
• Lavishly illustrated with both photos from the movie and historical photos
• Author is a recognized expert on the history of the Cristeros and the Cristiada
• Includes Cristero Prayers in English and Spanish
• Includes both encyclicals of Pope Pius XI from 1926 & 1932 about the attack on religious freedom in Mexico
• Contributions by Most Reverend Jose Gomez, Archbishop of Los Angeles, Actor Eduardo Verastegui, and Carl Anderson, Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus
About the Author:
Ruben Quezada is Director for the Catholic Resource Center and St. Joseph Communications, Inc. in Southern California. He is a recognized expert on “The Persecution of the Catholic Church in Mexico in the 1920s” and has traveled internationally as a bilingual speaker giving lectures on this subject for many years to all age groups.