This book is the culmination of years of research and planning across multiple languages and sources and includes:
- The events and analysis of Pope Benedict's resignation
- A complete biography of the first pope from the Western Hemisphere, including his family history, work as a priest and bishop, and his time as a Cardinal
- Texts and speeches given by Pope Francis from the moment of his election to his Installation
- A discussion of the Pope Francis' coat of arms and other symbols of the papacy
- A comprehensive discussion of what lies ahead for the new pope
"Make me an instrument of your peace.St. Francis of Assisi
When the curtains were drawn and our new Holy Father stepped out into view of the 150,000 people waiting in St. Peter's Square, it was a humble and gentle man from Argentina who greeted them, not in triumph, but with a gentle wave.
- He's a pope of "firsts" - the first Jesuit pope, the first pope from the Americas, and the first to choose the name of Italy's most famous saint.
- He is the son of an immigrant railway worker, and sibling of four.
- He was an active, social young man who trained to be a chemist before pursuing a religious vocation.
- He is a Jesuit priest and beloved spiritual director who even as archbishop of Buenos Aires was referred to as Father Jorge.
- He is an outspoken leader who experienced firsthand the challenges of a society ravaged by war, economic despair and cultural unrest.
Pope Francis is still new to us, but in this biography you will get to know the man who became pope: A street priest at heart with a deep love for people and a pastor's touch. He teaches in word and deed the truths of the Church and God's merciful love. Get inside access to the entire history-making event, from the startling resignation of Pope Benedict through the gathering of Cardinals for the Conclave and the installation of this Pope of the people. Examine Pope Francis the man - his background, his ideas, his mission, and his challenges and opportunities as our new pope - including 16 pages of full color photos from Pope Francis' past and present. "I want to ask you to walk together, and take care of one another …We need to see the light of hope and to be men and women who bring hope to others." Pope Francis
Follow this humble servant of the Church from Buenos Aires who reminds us that we as men and women are all collaborators in the vineyard of the Lord, that we are all peacemakers, and we are all brothers and sisters in unity, love, and service Pope Francis is written by Dr. Matthew Bunson, the author of the first biography of Pope Benedict XVI in the English language, The Pope Encyclopedia, The Encyclopedia of Catholic History and the upcoming Encyclopedia of U.S. Catholic History. Bunson is also a professor of Church History and a consultant to news organizations all over the world, including USA Today and ABC News and has appeared on countless radio and television programs, including CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, EWTN, Relevant Radio, the BBC, NPR and France 24.
Dimensions & Specifications
- 5 1/2 x8 1/2 inches
- 256 pages