- 2 Book Set
- What Catholics Are Free to Believe or Not
- What are Catholics required to believe?
- Proving the Catholic Faith is Biblical: From Priestly Celibacy to the Rosary
- 80 short, fascinating essays explaining the biblical basis of Catholicism
What Catholics Are Free to Believe or Not:
Fatima, relics, miracles, and more: about these and scores of other claims of the Catholic Faith, most people are simply wrong...including many Catholics!
They're mistaken about what the Church really requires believers to accept, and unclear about just what She's left to the discretion of the faithful.
To overcome these errors which can breed doubts and confusion in Catholics and non-Catholics alike the late Father Hughes here provides clear, succinct, detailed answers to what Catholics are bound to believe and practice, and what they're free to dismiss.
Without diluting or minimizing the obligations of Catholics, Fr. Hughes eliminates many obstacles to the conversion of Protestants who find troubling or even objectionable one or more non-essential beliefs or practices of the Church.
From these eye-opening pages, you'll learn:
- The real reason Catholics accept the doctrines of the Church: it's simpler than you may think
- The very minimum every Catholic must believe and do: do you know where the line is drawn?
- The worship and services that all Catholics must render to God (Can you name them?) and the ones they are free to practice or not
- How inquirers (and believers, as well) can assent to the Catholic faith without knowing each and every one of her teachings
- Why the Church will not in fact, cannot ever ask the faithful to assent to a proven truth of reason
- Which miracles all Catholics are required to accept and the ones they can legitimately doubt (plus, an easy way to tell the difference)
- How revelation gives birth to and limits the reach of the Church's doctrinal authority
- That, contrary to popular belief, the Church since apostolic times has never taught a new doctrine and can
- Where the Church has authority over the conclusions of science (and where She has none)
- The religious obedience is due even to some non-infallible declarations of the Church
- What, precisely, Catholics are required to accept in Church pronouncements about apparitions, relics, scapulars, shrines, holy images, and other popular devotions, and what they need not believe
These brisk, refreshing pages sweep away countless errors and confusions about the Catholic faith, showing Catholics and non-Catholics that it is far more reasonable and inviting than its critics claim: indeed, the only faith fully the respects the conscience and intelligence of creatures while conveying the full truth to them about the love of God for them and their obligations to Him.
Proving the Catholic Faith is Biblical: From Priestly Celibacy to the Rosary
If you want quick, substantive answers to the most common (and even several uncommon) claims that Catholic beliefs and practices aren’t biblical, then Proving the Catholic Faith is Biblical is the book for you.
In these pages, veteran apologist Dave Armstrong carefully walks you through the key teachings of the Church, revealing how each is rooted in Scripture.
He begins with several essays on tradition before moving into Ecclesiology, explaining the basis of a single Church, why priests are called “father,” and whether Church councils are more authoritative than the pope.
Armstrong then justifies priestly celibacy before moving into the theology of salvation. He illuminates the Church’s teaching on predestination, what “believing” in Jesus really means, and the relationship between faith and good works.
He continues by explaining purgatory and penance, the ritualism of the Holy Mass, the Rosary, the Communion of Saints, Mary as Queen of Heaven, papal infallibility, annulments, contraception, the necessity of Hell, and even the development of Church doctrine.
All told, he offers here 80 powerful essays that make sense of so many Catholic beliefs and practices that puzzle non-Catholics and cradle Catholics alike.
Read this book, and you’ll come to see that not only is the Catholic Faith thoroughly biblical, it is the only Christian religion in full conformity with Scripture.
Dimensions & Specifications
What Catholics Are Free to Believe or Not
- ISBN: 9781622823512
- Author: Fr. H.G. Hughes
- Format: Softcover
- Language: English
- Pages: 128
Proving the Catholic Faith is Biblical
- ISBN: 9781622822638
- Pages: 304
- Format: Softcover
- Language: English
- Author: Dave Armstrong