- 2 Book Set
- Fire From Above: Christian Contemplation and Mystical Wisdom
- Practical ways to confront self-deception and other challenges to contemplative prayer
- The Basic Book of Catholic Prayer: How to Pray and Why
- The fundamentals and the surprising beauty of prayer
Fire From Above: Christian Contemplation and Mystical Wisdom
A humble prayer calls down fire from above, and as we learn to live a life rooted in prayer, this heavenly fire grows into a profound awareness of the presence of God. This is the deepest purpose of prayer, and making this journey is essential for reaching the heights of holiness for which we were made.
In Fire From Above, Dr. Anthony Lilles, Academic Dean at St. John’s Seminary in California, shows you how to put your whole life in conversation with the Risen Lord within the Catholic tradition of spirituality. The wisdom of great saints and mystics will help you discover how to surrender your pride and appeal to God with humble trust, and how prayer addresses your deepest human needs.
Dr. Lilles then shows you how the mystery of prayer unfolds, and how God provides heroic levels of courage and deep internal resolve through humble and persevering devotion. You’ll examine how spiritual battles and dryness in prayer are essential to reaching communion with God, including the dark night of the soul. In these remarkable pages, you’ll also explore:
- Why finding time to pray is always possible and necessary even when life is busy
- How the proper use of sacramentals can render the heart more vulnerable to God’s saving power while protecting it from evil
- How forgiveness and bearing hardships are means for spiritual maturity
- The indispensible role of Our Lady in the life of faith
Read these pages, and you’ll soon embark on the epic adventure which is the life of prayer, and you’ll find encouragement to desire neither the goods nor the experiences of this world, but instead to pursue alone the Lord and His divine plan for your life.
The Basic Book of Catholic Prayer: How to Pray and Why
Whether you’ve just begun to pray or have been faithfully praying for years, the wisdom in this book will help you pray better. It will rescue your prayers from distraction and superficiality and transform them into real occasions for communion with God.
Fr. Lawrence Lovasik here clears away misunderstandings that many people have about prayer — and shows you innumerable ways you can avoid common obstacles and deepen your prayer life, no matter how much or how little you may have prayed before.
You’ll learn what prayer is, why it’s necessary, and how to practice the essential forms of Catholic prayer. You’ll discover how the Church’s sacraments fortify your prayer — and how prayer, in turn, enhances your reception of the sacraments. You’ll find out how to bring to your own prayers the qualities that make prayer effective. Your prayers will become more heartfelt, more focused, and more full of love for God.
Soon your prayer will fill you with a divine peace and joy that no one will be able to take from you. You’ll achieve the glorious aim of all prayer: union with God!
You’ll grow in prayer and in the graces it brings you as you learn:
- Liturgical prayer: why you must pray with the Church
- Four things you must bear in mind in order to pray better
- Why prayer is essential for your salvation even though God knows all that you need
- Two essential ingredients that transform thinking about God into genuine prayer
- Swamped with earthly cares or selfish interests? Why prayer at such moments makes such a difference, hard as it may be
- Your Faith: how knowing it better will improve your prayers
- Five ways you should follow Jesus’ example in your own prayer
- Temptations: practical ways prayer helps you resist even the strongest of them
- Distractions in prayer: four ways you can keep them from disturbing you
- Family prayer: how to bring God into your home life — consistently and painlessly
- The Our Father: why it’s the most perfect prayer — and how to avoid common pitfalls many fall into when praying this simple prayer
- And much more that will help you pray better and keep Jesus at the center of your life!
Dimensions & Specifications
Fire From Above:
- ISBN: 9781622823352
- Author: Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Format: Softcover
- Language: English
- Pages: 231
The Basic Book of Catholic Prayer:
- 8.3 x 5.6 inches
- ISBN: 9781928832041
- Author: Fr. Lawrence Lovasik
- Format: Softcover
- Language: English
- Pages: 224