- 2 Piece Set
- From Star Wars to Superman: Christ Figures in Science and Superhero Films
- Themed "May The Force Be With You" Mug
- Unique, fun gift set for the Catholic fan of science fiction
- Exclusive to The Catholic Company
There's something about science fiction that provides a unique and exciting cloak for exploring Christian realities. Settle into a comfy chair with hot chocolate in your "May the Force Be With You" Mug and a fascinating explanation of hidden faith-inspired works at hand! An exclusive set that will excite any recipient!
From Star Wars to Superman: Christ Figures in Science and Superhero Films
When cultures such as ours toss Jesus out one door, He comes in – albeit disguised – through another. That’s why author Jim Papandrea turned to Star Wars, Star Trek, The Matrix, Terminator, Spider-Man, Batman, Dr. Who, and half-a-dozen other modern shows, discovering in each one powerful images of Christ and salvation.
Nor is that surprising.
In stories of alternative universes, people always need rescuing; somebody needs to save the day; and sometimes the whole world cries out for a savior . . . which is just what a hero is.
About the heroes of some of the most popular sci-fi stories of all time, author Papandrea here answers questions that concern Christians who are also Trekkies, Whovians, Matrix Dwellers, or aficionados of popular science fiction: What kind of “Christ-figure” is the hero of this story, and what does that say about the show’s vision of Christ, humanity and salvation?
In the interest of being scientific, Papandrea even gives each hero a Numerical Orthodoxy Score based on the description of Christ in the Nicene Creed, Christianity’s common definition of orthodoxy.
Included herein are astute Christian analyses of:
Batman * Captain * America * Doctor Who * The Fifth Element * I, Robot * Iron Man * LOST * The Matrix * Planet of the Apes * Pleasantville * Spider-Man * Star Trek * Star Wars * Superman * The Terminator * The Time Machine * Tron * Wonder Woman
Here you’ll read about:
• The pervasive Christian imagery in Doctor Who
• Star Trek’s predicted “death of God”
• Free-will: the stumbling block in the first Matrix
• The crucifixion of Spider-Man
• Why Wonder Woman is an image of a gnostic savior
• The meaning of salvation in Star Wars (It masquerades as Christian)
• How Superman’s life begins as a parallel of Moses.
• I, Robot: the religious reason why the robot is called “Sonny”
• Whether, in any Christian sense, Neo is The One?
• Captain American and Iron-Man: one defends the innocent, the other brings justice to the guilty
• The tomb scene in the Fifth Element: it’s not the resurrection we need
• Matter vs. Spirit in Tron: gnostic to the core
• The anti-Christian bias of Planet of the Apes
• Why the Force in Star Wars is no analogy to Grace or the Holy Spirit
• The Star Wars Christ figure: Obi-Wan? Luke? Or even, ultimately, Darth Vader
• What Heaven is understood to be in the LOST universe
• Time travel as incarnation in The Terminator: a compelling analogy
• Regeneration as resurrection in Doctor Who: Is it Christ-like?
• How Pleasantville reverses the dynamism of the Fall
• The baptismal significance of the plane crash in LOST
• Pleasantville: a twisted version of Eden
• The incarnation of the Christ-figure in Planet of the Apes
• Tron’s parallels between Christianity and the Roman Empire. . . and much more about other science fiction and superhero shows!
Christians who enjoy popular culture will greet this fun book with interest and acclaim. The book comes paired with a Catholic Company exclusive campfire mug engraved with "May The Force Be With You." The design uses a fun play on words which helps us bring to mind God's constant presence. Makes a gift of lighthearted humor for the Catholic sci-fi fan.
- Mug - 15 oz capacity, 3.5" (diameter), Dishwasher and microwave safe