- The Seven Sacraments: Elementary Edition (For Teachers)
- A compilation of 10 supplemental lesson plans
- Offers a comprehensive, in-depth approach in a flexible, modular format
- Help your students encounter Christ in the Sacraments
The Seven Sacraments is a compilation of 10 supplemental lesson plans, enabling you to go beyond the limitations of current textbooks by offering a more comprehensive, in-depth, and engaging approach.
Every self-contained lesson in this guide is teacher-written, classroom-tested, and scholar-reviewed, and gives you everything you need to help your students encounter Christ in the Sacraments.
Each lesson is designed in a flexible, modular format, and includes:
- Essential questions
- Connections to the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Accessible and engaging background reading
- Comprehension and critical thinking questions
- Warm-up / bell work
- Main activity such as primary source analysis, role-playing, class discussion, creative assignments, and many others
- Homework and extension options
- "Becoming Like Christ" extension that helps students live the Faith
- Biblical memorization
Age-appropriate Catechism memorization suggestions
What Is a Sacrament?
- What is the secret and joyful realm of the Sacraments?
- Why are Sacraments effective whether we feel them or not?
- The Institution of the Eucharist
- Why is the Eucharist the Source and Summit of our Faith?
- How did Jesus institute this sacrament?
What were Christ's claims and commandments at the Last Supper?
Old and New: Eucharistic Typology
How does the New Testament lie hidden in the Old, and how s the Old unveiled in the New?
- What is Baptism?
How can it be possible that we die to live?
- How do we know when something belongs to us?
If Baptism brings us into Christian life, and Reconciliation forgives sins, then why should we bother with Confirmation?
- What is the Eucharist?
- What Are Its Fruits?
- How do we receive the Eucharist, and why do we need to receive it often?
- Why can't everyone receive the Eucharist? Isn't it wrong to exclude people?
What is the structure and purpose of Holy Mass?
Penance and Reconciliation
- Why should I go to Confession when I can just tell God I'm sorry in my prayers?
Can my sins be so bad that God won't forgive me?
Anointing of the Sick
- What are the effects of Anointing of the Sick?
What are the Cardinal Virtues, and how can they help us receive God's grace?
- Who are the successors of the Apostles?
Why can only men be priests?
- How is what Christ did for humanity like what spouses do for each other?
How is divine love reflected in married love?
This resource facilitates experiential learning with sacred art including works by:
- Fra Angelico
- Jacopo Bassano
- Van Dyke
- Leandro Miguel Velasco
Your students will read and analyze primary sources including excerpt from:
- St. Ambrose
- St. Melito of Sardis
Age-appropriate excerpts from Catechism of the Catholic Church
In addition to two Biblical memorization assignments in every lesson, your students will study in-depth and apply their knowledge of scripture passages including:
- Genesis 2:18, 21-25
- Exodus 12:1-20
- Ruth 1:16-17
- Luke 3:21-22
- Luke 5:1-11
- Luke 5:4-11
- John 8:4-11
- John 12:24
- John 13:4-8
- John 21:15-17
- Luke 15:11-32
- Luke 22:14-20
- Mark 10:6-9
- Matthew 12:21-22
- Matthew 4:19
- John 9:1-7
- Mark 8:22-26
- Mark 10:46-52
- Matthew 20:29-34
- Romans 6:3-4
- Galatians 3:26-28
- Titus 3:5
- 1 John 3:1-3
- 2 Timothy 1:6-14
- 8½ x 11 inches