- The Smoke of Satan: How Corrupt and Cowardly Bishops Betrayed Christ, His Church, and the Faithful
The sex-abuse scandal, which has erupted anew in 2018, poses the greatest challenge that the Catholic Church has faced since the Reformation. It is a scandal that originates from within, perpetrated by many of its leaders. The Church is suffering because too many members have stood aside, content to let someone else deal with the crisis. For too long cowardly and corrupt bishops have enabled predators within the Church, or looked the other way. We must not do the same.
It is time for all Catholics to be educated and learn what has been happening within the Catholic Church and to do their part to root it out.
In this unflinching look at the crisis threatening the Church and her members, Lawler:
- Shows how the within the clergy
- Explains how , to avoid the serious divisions that have developed within the faith since Vatican II
- Demonstrates a , causing a breakdown in morale and discipline among priests, bishops, and laity, paving the way for the current crisis
- Reveals the growth of a
- Details the charges in the explosive “Vigano testimony,”— and the
- Concludes with , demanding a new policy of candor and a forthright proclamation of Church teaching
This crisis, brought about by the failures of corrupt and cowardly bishops and clerics, has been allowed to fester long enough. It is well past time for serious action to be taken at every level before more lives are ruined, more souls are lost, and more fractures divide the Church. The Smoke of Satan must be cleared from our Church before it suffocates more of the faithful.
In these pages, Lawler details the problems besetting the Church…and lays out a clear plan to overcome them in order that the Church and Her members may once again thrive and bring souls to Christ.