- Reflections on the books of the Old Testament
- Six-step analysis of bible texts, maps, charts and background information
- Contemporary scholarship and timeless wisdom of scripture
- Rich source of knowledge on the Old Testament
"When we read the Hebrew Bible, we listen to a conversation that lasted more than a millennium.... The biblical conversation centers on essential themes of God's revelation and the community's response.... Each book -- sometimes each part of a book -- has its own voice. Just as a good listener respects the uniqueness of each speaker, so the good reader of the Bible discerns the unique contribution of each book or portion thereof." -- From the Introduction
Join the conversation in this newly updated book from a Scripture scholar who deals with the Bible's complexities in clear, readable prose. The Consuming Fire will equip you to become an informed reader of the Bible, able to discern the unique contribution of each of the Old Testament's books to the dialogue.
- Each chapter opens with thoughtful reflections on issues of faith and life.
- A six-step analysis gives you immediate and guided access to the biblical text.
- Informative charts, maps, and bibliographies will enrich your learning experience.
Michael Duggan has thoroughly revised this edition of The Consuming Fire, rewriting many chapters to reflect the best in contemporary scholarship, the direction of current Vatican documents, and respect for the Jewish heritage of the Bible. Each chapter includes a "Meditative Reading," a feature that provides selected texts and questions to aid readers in prayerful reflection.
- Michael W. Duggan
- 688 pages