- 2 Book Set-
- The Lost Art of Sacrifice
- A Spiritual Guide for Denying Yourself, Embracing the Cross, and Finding Joy
- How to Make Sense of Suffering
- Helps us to understand why our sufferings are vital elements in God’s loving plan
The Lost Art of Sacrifice:
The Lost Art of Sacrifice leaves behind the soft sentimentalism that many today wrongly associate with Christianity, calling readers to remember – and to embrace – Christ’s unambiguous challenge in Matthew 16: “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”
In these powerful pages, author Vicki Burbach contrasts – as Jesus did – our selfish worldly culture with the way Christians are called to live, illuminating the essential role that sacrifice must play in every worthy human life. Not content with explaining the importance of sacrifice and singing its praises, Burbach ends each chapter with practical, down-to-earth suggestions to help readers cultivate the art of sacrifice in their lives, so that each may find a way to follow Christ as He commands us.
Best of all, she shows that not only is it critical that we each undertake ever more sacrifices, large and small, as we go about our daily lives but that doing so is the path to joy: great joy today and immeasurably greater joy hereafter.
How to Make Sense of Suffering:
These pages will help you gain happiness and peace by showing you how to understand — and conquer — any trouble, no matter how great. Here you’ll learn how to avoid the mistakes most of us make when we’re suffering — mistakes that only make our burdens heavier. You’ll come to see that misfortunes are not the blind workings of chance, but are vital elements in God’s loving plan. With the wisdom in these pages, you’ll soon be using your troubles as instruments to unleash God’s healing power in your soul.
Here you’ll discover:
- How to preserve your peace even amid troubles you can’t avoid
- Pain: the surprising role it can play in God’s loving plan for you
- Suicidal? Why this suffering world is better than no world at all
- How to find the beauty hidden in the most unappealing duties
- Peace with God: how bearing your suffering well can lead you to Him quickly and directly
- The very worst temptation you’ll face in your troubles — and how to prepare for it in good times
- Hope: how you can gain the life-transforming power of this virtue
- How you can bring Christ’s light to others in their own sorrow
- How to turn even your worst troubles into opportunities for good
- Why suffering is no compelling argument against Faith
- Despair: the amazing way you can avoid giving in to it, no matter how heavy your burdens
- And a wealth of practical wisdom to help you sing God’s praises even in the worst of times!
Dimensions & Specifications:
The Lost Art of Sacrifice
- Author: Vicki Burbach
- Pages: 320
- Format: Paperback
How to Make Sense of Suffering
- Author: Marguerite Duportal
- Pages: 117
- Format: Softcover