- 2 Book Set
- The Seven Deadly Sins: A Thomistic Guide to Vanquishing Vice and Sin
- Seven sacramental and saint-sanctioned strategies to depend on God's graces & grapple with deadly sin
- Learning the Virtues That Lead You to God
- Pleasing God in what you do and don't do
The Seven Deadly Sins: A Thomistic Guide to Vanquishing Vice and Sin:
If you want to make progress in the spiritual life, you must know your enemy. Best-selling author Kevin Vost shines a light on the seven deadly sins, showing how they take root in our souls and keep us from being raised to heaven.
In these pages, Dr. Vost unpacks the teachings of St. Thomas Aquinas, history's greatest theologian, in an engaging and accessible way. He unveils the hidden connections between common sins and shows how each gives birth to daughters, other thoughts and deeds that help it reach its sinful goals.
We all struggle with the seven deadly sins to varying degrees. Read this book, and you'll walk away armed with an arsenal of practical weapons to combat these sins and to clear the path for greater virtue, deeper happiness, and more profound union with God.
You'll also learn:
- Which sin can truly be called the deadliest in the world
- What takes place within our souls when we grapple with sin
- How each and every deadly sin is outnumbered by several opposite virtues
- Six deadly dominoes: Do you know the sins that almost always cause us to commit additional sins?
- How "the mother of the virtues" dethrones "the queen of the vices"
Learning the Virtues That Lead You to God:
There’s more to goodness than keeping the Commandments: you’ve got to cultivate virtue, too, so that you please God in what you do — not merely in what you don’t do. In these pages, you’ll learn countless ways to grow in such virtue. The wise Msgr. Romano Guardini, a German priest hailed by Pope Benedict XVI as “a great figure” who “aspired to the truth of God and to the truth of man,” leads you from a consideration of virtue in itself to a discussion of each of the key virtues that will make you holy and lead you to God.
Here you’ll learn how to begin practicing the virtues and make them part of your daily routine. You’ll also learn about:
- Envy, the hidden sin, even in the spiritually mature: how to fight it
- Courtesy: how good manners are spiritually vital to souls
- "What is truth?" The surprising answer to Pilate’s question will transform you
- Patience: it’s the prerequisite for all moral growth, and only the morally strong attain it
- Orderliness: not a moral virtue in itself, but lack of it may cost your soul
- Why a sense of humor is so important — even to your spiritual health
- The strange contradiction in blaming God for the evil in the world
- Belief in “progress”: in our day it can be a form of idolatry
- The tyranny of justice: why so many justice movements turn unjust (knowing this is the key to our future as a society)
- Asceticism: it’s not just for monks — without it, you may not be saved!
- Trashy movies: there’s spiritual danger even in the ones that don’t obviously glorify sin
- Discover why noise weakens the soul, and how silence is balm for your spiritual life
Plus: many other topics to help you grow in the virtues that lead you to God!
Dimensions & Specifications:
The Seven Deadly Sins: