The Basics of the Rosary | The Prayers of the Rosary
The Mysteries of the Rosary | Joyful Mysteries
Sorrowful Mysteries | Glorious Mysteries
Luminous Mysteries | Rosary FAQs
How to Pray the Rosary Handout - PDF
HOW TO PRAY THE ROSARY
The rosary is divided into five groups of ten beads called decades. As we pray the rosary we meditate on the events of Our Lord's life and Passion, which are called Mysteries. The repetition of the prayers assists in this prayerful meditation. The rosary, in essence, is a compendium of the Gospel and leads us, through the intercession of Our Lady, to contemplate Jesus Christ.
Find all the prayers of the rosary here.
Begin by praying the Sign of the Cross.
1. On the crucifix pray the Apostles Creed.
The rosary begins with 1 Our Father and 3 Hail Marys for an increase in the virtues of faith, hope, and love:
2. On the first rosary bead, pray the Our Father.
3. On each of the next three beads pray the Hail Mary. After the last Hail Mary, pray the Glory Be & the Fatima prayer.
Next you will pray 1 Our Father and 10 Hail Marys for each rosary mystery. You can find the 5 rosary mysteries here.
4. Announce the first mystery, and then pray the Our Father. (Ex: “The first Joyful Mystery is the Annunciation.”)
5. Pray 10 Hail Marys. After the last Hail Mary pray the Glory Be and the Fatima prayer.
6. Announce the second mystery, and then pray the Our Father. (Ex: “The second Joyful Mystery is the Visitation.”)
7. Pray 10 Hail Marys. After the last Hail Mary pray the Glory Be and the Fatima prayer.
8. Continue to pray 1 Our Father and 10 Hail Marys three more times, announcing the third, fourth, and fifth mysteries before each decade. After the last Hail Mary pray the Glory Be and the Fatima prayer.
Lastly, pray the Hail Holy Queen and the concluding prayer.
The rosary takes fifteen to twenty minutes to pray. The rosary is a means of grace and has many spiritual benefits. Many saints have encouraged praying the rosary daily. It helps you to grow in virtue, helps you overcome life's problems, and works as a spiritual weapon. Read the 15 promises of the Blessed Virgin Mary to those who pray the rosary.