- 100 plants and their Christian and Catholic histories.
- For all seasons and climates
- Beautiful vintage drawings in full color
- How to create a faith or prayer garden
- Beauty, faith and garden landscapes
A catechism is a way of teaching the Faith that strengthens the bonds of unity in our Church and, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, “enlivens the faith of the People of God.”
In the same spirit, Master Gardener and certified greenhouse grower Margaret Realy’s A Garden Catechism: 100 Plants in Christian Tradition and How to Grow Them will help you create a garden that is more than just a landscape. Filled with an array of plants for all seasons and climates, this beautiful book shows you how to create a faith-based garden that symbolically expresses the teachings of our faith and leads you into prayer.
Presenting accurate plant culture that is easy to understand, aesthetically pleasing, and grounded in Catholic history and tradition, A Garden Catechism is perfect for beginning and experienced gardeners alike. Entries for each plant include:
- Vintage-style color botanical drawing
- Symbolism from Christian literature, art, and folklore
- Horticultural information including each plant’s unique characteristics, habitat needs, and attributes (such as fragrance, seasonal color, and butterfly/pollinator attractant)
- Expert tips for successful growth and care
Plus, you’ll find a wealth of useful information about gardening basics, how to craft a prayer garden, and selecting the right plants for your vision and space.
This unique, comprehensive resource combines the heritage of our Faith and the joy of gardening in a way that is accessible to anyone.
Let’s get growing!
- Author: Margaret Rose Realy, Obl OSB
- Illustrated by Mary Sprague
- 400 Pages