- Oplatki “Angel Bread”
- Long standing Christmas tradition
- Unite the family
Polish, Slovak and Lithuanian families observe the centuries-old Oplatki Christmas Tradition. The word Oplatki means "Angel Bread". Sometimes you will see Oplatki spelled as Oplatky or Oplatke, and you will also see the singular version, Oplatek. The wafers, which are 5 1/2in. x 2 3/4in., come with 4 beautiful Christmas images, such as the Nativity or the Star of Bethlehem stamped on the wafer. Each wafer comes in an envelope with the Oplatki tradition printed on the back.
The back of the envelope reads:
"The word Bethlehem means "House of Bread." The breaking of the bread is a sign of charity, unity, and friendship. Religious family traditions and customs bring the truths of Faith into the home. One of these beautiful Christmas customs is the Christmas Wafer. A Wafer bearing a simple design commemorative of Christ's birth is broken by the head of the family and distributed to each member. With a simple prayer for God's grace and the welfare of the present and absent members of the family, the head family member breaks the Wafer and distributes it, a piece to each one at the table. While doing so each member of the family is kissed and is wished a joyful feast. The other family members then greet one another in the same way.
The spiritual lesson in this age old custom is unity of the family - the main pillar of society. The bond of unity is the Christ-like charity that should exist amongst the members of the family. The father of the family is the link in the unbroken chain of One Body, One Bread, One Christ, and One Church. The family joins him in this eternal procession no matter where they are. For there is a universal longing by men to be always with one another, with God.
All this brings to mind clearly our charity for one another, to seek salvation together. Family customs remind us that we seek and obtain salvation with the help of others at all times."
- White & Pink Wafers: Sold in a set of 10 (Item #9990270), which contains 8 white wafers and 2 pink wafers; in a set of 20, which contains 16 white wafers and 4 pink wafers (Item #9990271); a set of 50, which contains 40 white wafers and 10 pink wafers (Item #9990337); or in a set of 100, which contains 80 white wafers and 20 pink wafers (Item #9990338)
- White Only Wafers: Sold as a Set of 10 white wafers (Item #9990410); a set of 20 white wafers (Item #9990411); a set of 50 white wafers (Item #9990412); or a set of 100 white wafers (Item #9990413)
Ingredients: Only whole wheat flour and water is used to produce this product. The manufacturing facility does not bake or package any other product so there is no chance of cross contamination possible. They also do not use any baking sprays so breads are 100% wheat flour and water.
- The envelopes measure 7-1/2" x 5-1/2"
- Wafers measure approx. 2.75” x 5.6”
- Due to the consumable nature of this product, this item is non-returnable and non-refundable.