- Meditations Before Mass
- Learn to overcome distraction and restlessness during Mass
- The three major hindrances to full participation in the liturgy
- How to grow receptive to God's grace during Mass
- ...and so much more!
Over fifty years ago, Msgr. Romano Guardini resolved to help his parishioners overcome the distractions and restlessness they suffered at Mass. Just before Mass each Sunday, he gave a brief talk on some aspect of the Mass, teaching them week by week, topic by topic, how to pre-pare themselves to participate more prayerfully. Afterward, he provided a few minutes of silence for reflection, and then began to offer Mass.
So helpful were these 32 talks that they were soon published and have since been reprinted countless times in numerous countries and languages, helping generations of Catholics to deepen their devotion during Mass. Practical, straightforward, and full of wisdom, these talks will help you to quiet your soul, concentrate your mind, and grow receptive to God's grace during Mass.
In these pages, you'll discover:
- The three principal hindrances to full participation in the Mass, to which all of us are prone
- The real meaning of "keeping holy" the Sabbath
- Its special importance for the family
- One tendency we must overcome when listening to Scripture readings
- How to gain control over your wandering attention
- The one indispensable element of a deep liturgical life
- What to do when the Mass becomes boring and "routine"
- How to achieve a genuine - not superficial - stillness
- The importance of listening and inner barriers that prevent it
- Why it's good to arrive early at Mass whenever possible
- The true significance of kneeling and standing in church
- And dozens of other practical ways to enrich your worship!
Although he was an eminent theologian, Msgr. Guardini wrote for ordinary Catholics just like you. Practical, straightforward, yet full of wisdom, Meditations Before Mass will help you to quiet your soul, concentrate your mind, and grow more receptive to grace.