- Anthology on Love by Ven. Fulton J. Sheen
- Wisdom, wit and logic on every aspect of love
- Practical and faithful counsel
- From one of the greatest communicators in the Church
In modernity, the word love is one of the most commonly misused and abused in our language. Devoid of order, misconceptions about love run rampant, steeped as we are in narcissism, secular humanism, relativism, and hedonism. Separated from God, society tragically propagates a notion of love that is, in truth, the antithesis of authentic love.
Now more than ever we need Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen’s wisdom, wit, and logic to refute these errors. In our sightless, irrational, and deeply polarized world, his prescient words elucidate the most divisive issues of our time. Mindful that we are all children of God, Archbishop Sheen decries anti-Semitism, racism, and sexism. He also explains what real tolerance means and why anti-hate campaigns don’t work.
The Greatest Commandment is a timely reprint of Archbishop Sheen’s two seminal books Love One Another and God Loves You. This anthology of his bestselling reflections also contains quotes and prayers that he compiled to foster ecumenism and societal unity. Drawing on Sacred Scripture, the writings of the saints, and philosophy, Archbishop Sheen explains:
- The meaning of love in light of the Holy Trinity
- Why God created us to love — and to be loved
- The three types of love and the nine ingredients to charity
- How Heaven is the ultimate fulfillment of our joy, desire, and love
- Why love cannot exist without truth
- How we give the greatest glory to God at Mass by uniting ourselves to Christ
A treasure to contemplate, The Greatest Commandment expounds upon our deep-seated need to love God and implore His mercy by developing a personal relationship with Him through Sacred Scripture and the Sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist and Confession. God’s loving quest for our souls in turn impels us to love our neighbor. Love is a decision and requires sacrifice; it is the total gift of self for another. Our witness aids the disillusioned in finding their way to God. By cooperating with God’s Love, we will bring about the restoration of the world.
- Author: Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Pages: 208