- Catholics guide to optimal health
- Harmony of body, mind, and spirit
- Current knowledge on how to care for your body
- Within the context of your devotional life
- Straightforward, engaging and practical
"Our culture is facing a pandemic of obesity and a marked rise in diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s dementia. The problem is physiological, of course - but it is also spiritual. Here is the book that will teach you how to attain optimal health and true harmony of mind, body, and spirit within the context of a well-rounded devotional life.
In his straightforward and engaging style, Dr. Kevin Vost reflects upon teachings from Scripture and St. Thomas Aquinas on the sacredness of the human body. You will learn the degree to which sins such as gluttony and sloth contribute to physical and spiritual health problems. You will also discover how factors such as genetics and hormones impact body weight.
Through Vost’s research, you will come to understand the importance of eating the real food that God created for us. Vost shares how he lost weight, kept it off, and lowered his blood pressure by doing so. He also includes other smart health suggestions and some sample recipes, including delicious vegetable dishes and smoothies.
This book uniquely integrates Christian wisdom with good nutrition, including the roles of carbohydrates, fats, proteins - and prayer. Additionally, Vost explains how to strengthen your body through weight training and the benefits of machine training to build muscles. He provides alternative fitness routines for those with joint pain who are unable to endure high-impact lifting, and he offers general suggestions on staying physically active for people of all ages.
At the end of each chapter, Vost provides a brief summary for quick referencing and extensive book, video, and online resources on Catholic approaches to health, faith, fitness, and nutrition.
Elevating this splendid manual further are compelling true stories of individuals and families whose lives were transformed by dietary adjustment, exercise, and consequent weight loss. Many found success by offering their sacrifices for the sake of the Kingdom, whether for specific loved ones, the unborn, or the salvation of souls in general.
Significantly, you will come to understand how:
- Scripture instructs you to love and respect your body
- Developing healthy habits enables you to love God with your whole self
- Cultivating moral, intellectual, and theological virtues will make your body a holy temple
- You can avoid illness through diet and exercise
- Practicing wellness fosters brain health
- Author: Kevin Vost, Psy. D.
- Pages: 320
- Format: Paperback