In Latin America it is a strong tradition to celebrate Lent in a deep and vivid way. It is often characterized by reviving the Passion of Christ through dramatizations and processions in the main streets. Thousands of people, old and young, join in the celebrations that last late into the night. There are also many other cultural traditions associated with Lent.
If you are a Latino, here is a fun list that you may find familiar!
YOU MIGHT BE A LATINO IF YOU DO THIS FOR LENT
- You want to watch The Ten Commandments or any classic Christian movie (Ben Hur, The Robe, Jesus of Nazareth ...) during Lent.
- You know the meaning of Alfombras and Procesiones.
- You want to eat torrejas, jocotes en miel, mangos, arroz en leche, pescado seco, mariscos ...
- You want to go on vacation to the beach for a week: it's the tradition for Semana Santa!
- Your grandma told you that you can't jump, scream, play, swim, or do any fun during Viernes Santo (Good Friday).
- You know Latin without even knowing it: ¡Vamos al Via Crucis!
- You want to remember and honor Jesus!
This article was originally published in February 2015. © The Catholic Company. All rights reserved.