Do you know someone who is soon to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation? Use these quotes from the saints to encourage them to persevere in their walk with Christ and his Church!
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Confirmation establishes us more deeply in our relationship to God as his children, unites us more closely to Jesus Christ, pours out the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit into our soul, strengthens our bond with the Catholic Church, and gives us the power we need to be true soldiers of Christ through living, sharing, and defending our Faith.
In light of these remarkable gifts bestowed on us through this special sacrament of the Holy Spirit, here are 30 saint quotes to help those being Confirmed to be strengthened in their Catholic faith and to live it out fully with love and joy. Please share!
(These saint quotes can also be an encouragement for those who have already been Confirmed to live in the grace of the many spiritual benefits received through this sacrament.)
You can use them as greeting card messages too!
30 Inspirational Saint Quotes
for the Sacrament of Confirmation
1. "In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit."
2. "Remember, then, that you received a spiritual seal, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of knowledge and reverence, the spirit of holy fear. Keep safe what you received. God the Father sealed you, Christ the Lord strengthened you and sent the Spirit into your hearts as the pledge of what is to come."
3. "I wish not merely to be called Christian, but also to be Christian."
—St. Ignatius of Antioch
4. "It is better to be a child of God than king of the whole world."
—St. Aloysius Gonzaga
5. "But it is God who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us, by putting his seal on us and giving us his Spirit in our hearts as a first installment."
6. "Each of you knows that the foundation of our faith is charity. Without it, our religion would crumble. We will never be truly Catholic unless we conform our entire lives to the two commandments that are the essence of the Catholic faith: to love the Lord, our God, with all our strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves."
—Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati
7. "Prayer is the best armor we have, it is the key which opens the heart of God."
—St. Padre Pio
8. "While the world changes, the cross stands firm."
9. "What great faith our Lord Jesus Christ asks of us - and how just that is. Do we not owe him such faith? It looks impossible to us, but Jesus is Master of the impossible."
—Bl. Charles de Foucauld
10. "Be who you were created to be, and you will set the world on fire."
—St. Catherine of Siena
11. "Only in Christ can men and women find answers to the ultimate questions that trouble them. Only in Christ can they fully understand their dignity as persons created and loved by God."
—Pope St. John Paul II
12. "O Holy Spirit, descend plentifully into my heart. Enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling and scatter there Thy cheerful beams."
13. "Work hard every day at increasing your purity of heart, which consists in appraising things and weighing them in the balance of God's will."
—St. Francis de Sales
14. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places . . . He destined us for adoption as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace that he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."
—St. Paul the Apostle
15. "I urge you to remain steadfast in faith, so that at last we will all reach heaven and there rejoice together."
—St. Andrew Kim Taegon
16. "Persevere in labors that lead to salvation. Always be busy in spiritual actions. In this way, no matter how often the enemy of our souls approaches, no matter how many times he may try to come near us, he'll find our hearts closed and armed against him."
—St. Cyprian of Carthage
17. "I ask you to consider that our Lord Jesus Christ is your true head and that you are a member of his body. He belongs to you as the head belongs to the body. All that is his is yours: breath, heart, body, soul and all his faculties. All of these you must use as if they belonged to you, so that in serving him you may give him praise, love and glory."
—St. John Eudes
18. "To put into practice the teachings of our holy faith, it is not enough to convince ourselves that they are true; we must love them. Love united to faith makes us practice our religion."
—St. Alphonsus Liguori
19. "You must speak to Jesus, not only with your lips, but also with your heart; actually, on certain occasions, you should speak with only your heart."
—St. Padre Pio
20. "Keep to the ancient way and custom of the Church, established and confirmed by so many Saints under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. And live a new life. Pray, and get others to pray, that God not abandon His Church, but reform it as He pleases, and as He sees best for us, and more to His honor and glory."
—St. Angela Merici
21. "We know certainly that our God calls us to a holy life. We know that he gives us every grace, every abundant grace; and though we are so weak of ourselves, this grace is able to carry us through every obstacle and difficulty."
—St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
22. "We ought to speak, shout out against injustices, with confidence and without fear. We proclaim the principles of the Church, the reign of love, without forgetting that it is also a reign of justice."
—Blessed Miguel Pro
23. "Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you."
24. "Holiness consists simply in doing God’s will, and being just what God wants us to be."
—St. Therese of Lisieux
25. "Let us thank God for having called us to His holy faith. It is a great gift, and the number of those who thank God for it is small."
—St. Alphonsus Liguori
26. "Let each of us accept the truth of the following statement and try to make it our most fundamental principle: Christ’s teaching will never let us down, while worldly wisdom always will. Christ Himself said that this sort of wisdom was like a house with nothing but sand as its foundation, while His own was like a building with solid rock as its foundation."
—St. Vincent de Paul
27. "In a world gone astray from God there is no peace, but it also lacks charity, which is true and perfect love... Nothing is more beautiful than love. Indeed, faith and hope will end when we die, whereas love, that is, charity, will last for eternity."
—Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
28. "Love Our Lady and make her loved; always recite the Rosary and recite it as often as possible."
—St. Padre Pio
29. "What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."
30. "We can study the whole history of salvation, we can study the whole of Theology, but without the Spirit we cannot understand. It is the Spirit that makes us realize the truth or–in the words of Our Lord–it is the Spirit that makes us know the voice of Jesus."
Read next How to Write a Confirmation Letter
This article has been updated and was originally published in May 2015. © The Catholic Company. All rights reserved.